- Designing interfaces for software and web applications, web
- Designing screen layouts and graphical elements
- Creating wire frames
- Designing user workflows and interactions
- Rapid prototyping
- Iterative design
- Developing graphical Java applications
- Human factors
- Usability methodologies
- Conducting and analyzing usability tests, including: talking
protocol testing, paper prototyping, card sorting, pluralistic
review, expert review, heuristic review
- Creating proof of concepts, including screen mockups and interface
- Supervising website / application design, production and implementation
- Supervising content development
- HTML, XML, CSS
- Director Lingo
- Familiarity with C, SQL, ActionScript, PHP, Lisp (Scheme)
- Familiarity with database design and implementation
- W3C Standards
- Section 508
- Adobe Acrobat, Illustrator, InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop
- Macromedia Dreamweaver, Director and Flash
- AutoCAD r.14/2000
- Familiarity with Microstation, 3D Studio, MiniCAD, Form·Z
- MS Office
- Unix / Linux
- Windows 95/98/2000/XP/NT
- Mac OS
- Native English speaker
- Proficient in French
- Intermediate Spanish
- Basic German and Welsh
|1999 - 2001
Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, MA
Master of Science: Design & Computation
Thesis: "A Visual Approach for Exploring Computational Design"Developed
Shaper2D, a Java program to facilitate design theory teaching—with
an emphasis on usability, interface and interaction issues.
Read my SMArchS thesis (.pdf
View the Shaper2D Applet (version
2.0) -- Java 1.2 required.
Please see classes for links to
projects and information about subjects taken.
|1994 - 1998
|| University of Manchester,
Professional Diploma in Professional Practice (RIBA Part
Bachelor of Architecture (RIBA Part II)
BA(Hons), Architecture (RIBA Part I)
|2005 - present
User Interface Designer
Working with multidisciplinary development teams to spearhead
user interface design in conceptualization, design, and development
of Oracle's business intelligence products. Responsibilities include:
- Identifying requirements
- Developing user models
- Designing and prototyping UI for interaction
- Developing and maintaining UI specifications and guidelines
- Communicating with development team to evangelize UI design
directions and resolve design tradeoffs and implementation issues
Also collaborating closely with usability engineers to conduct
necessary front-end research and support usability efforts throughout
the product development cycle.
|2004 (3 month contract)
- Observed and analyzed usability studies of the purchase process
- Improved the UI (error messaging, flow) for the purchase process
- Web banner design and editing
|2003 - 2004
User Interface / Web Design Consultant
Web Design/Optimization: Nancy Mroczek
- Optimized user interface and page design for two existing websites.
- Redesigned screen layout to incorporate additional content,
including music, video, text, and visual content.
Web Design: Rudis Realty
- Created new web site that adheres to current accessibility standards.
User Experience Designer
- Instrumental in setting up the usability lab
- Designed, conducted, and analyzed usability tests.
- Designed interactive screen interfaces for cutting-edge mobile
technology using rapid prototyping methods (including Macromedia
Flash and Director).
|1999 - 2003
Massachusetts Institute of Technology
UI Designer / Java Application Developer
- Developed advanced version of Shaper2D,
a Java application and applet for use in studio design teaching.
- Identified the usability, interface and interaction issues involved
with designing software for designers.
StudioMIT: UI Designer / Project Manager / Usability Specialist
- Coordinated the technical and creative implementation of application
modules, including QA.
- Developed the interaction/interface design.
- Refined the information architecture and user workflows.
- Conducted usability studies; analyzed the results and advised
the design team of key issues concerning the user experience.
Web Communications Researcher/Producer
- Reviewed and analyzed usability studies related to proposed
changes to MIT's top-level web site.
- Created the initial HTML prototype of MIT
- Produced the working demo of OCW, which was granted $100million
Workshop, MIT / University of Miyagi, Sendai, Japan
Webmaster / Web Producer
- Coordinated the implementation of the MIT
Architecture Department web site.
- Supervised the web design consultant.
- Collaborated with faculty to gather and develop content, author
- Developed the site-wide information architecture.
- Developed faculty website for Megan
Ormrod & Partners, Liverpool, England
- Planned and administered a system to decrease drawing errors
and increase team productivity and communication.
- Coordinated the CAD and I.T. implications of a £multi-million
hotel extension to the Reebok Stadium, Bolton, Lancashire, England.
|1997 - 1999
Architect / IT Manager
Paterson Macaulay & Owens, Wirral, England
- Ran an assortment of projects predominantly situated in the
north-west area of England. Responsibilities included: design,
supervising planning permission and regulations applications,
tender action and contract administration.
- Organized and implemented a cost-effective digital editing suite
and modem link between the two offices, facilitating production,
collaboration and communication.
|1994 - 1995
Assistant Architect / CAD Technician
Tang & Teo Architects, Singapore
- Worked on a variety of $multi-million projects based in Singapore,
Indonesia and Vietnam.
|1989 - 1996 (vacations)
Apprentice Horologer / Clock Dial Restorer
The Clock Shop, Hoylake, Wirral, England
- Restored and repaired antique clocks and clock dials.
|papers and publications
||"Designing Design-Mediating Software: The
Development of Shaper2D", Proceedings of eCAADe
2004, Copenhagen, Denmark [read
in .pdf format]
||"Shaper2D: An Interactive Shape Grammar
Interpreter", Presentation at workshop on Implementation Issues
in Generative Design Systems, First
International Conference on Design, Computing & Cognition (DCC'04),
MIT [read in .pdf format]
"Shaper2D: Visual Software for Learning Shape Grammars",
Proceedings of eCAADe
2002, Warsaw, Poland [read
in .pdf format]
||B.Arch work published in 'MacUser'
(UK), September 13, 1996
|awards and scholarships
||HASS Award, Department of Architecture,
||Dean's Scholarship Award, School
of Architecture and Planning, MIT
Foundation Ambassadorial Scholarship
Duke of Edinburgh's
Award: Bronze Level
|affiliations and memberships
|2003 - present
|2003 - present
of Computing Machinery, SIGCHI
|1999 - present
|| UK registered (licensed) Architect,
||Clean UK and US driving licences.
Authorized to work for any employer in USA and Europe.
- Travelling: USA, Australia, Europe, South-East Asia
- Sports: soccer, motor racing, tennis, badminton, hiking
- Cooking: Indian, South-East Asian, baking
- Art & Culture: restoration of antique clock dials, HCI,
web design, sketching, sculpture, music, jewellery making, cinema
and film production.